Local Foster Care
What is foster care?
- It is caring for a child until his or her parent(s) can resume full responsibility,
or until a permanent home is found.
- It is a commitment to helping a child through a difficult period
- It is a job for people who can provide love and guidance... and then let go
Why do we need foster parents?
Here in Allegheny County, we have a need for more foster homes. Without good foster
families, the children who have been removed from their families due to abuse and
neglect do not have the best chance for a secure and successful future.
Who can be a foster parent?
- Families of all types: married and single adults of all ages, races, ethnicities
- People who are willing to provide for all the needs of a child in care
- People who have a desire to help a child succeed
- People who are willing to accept a child as a part of their family
What types of situations lead to a child needing foster care?
- Physical and sexual abuse
- Neglect or abandonment
- Physical or mental illness of a parent
- Death of parents
- Emotional or behavioral problems
What type of children need foster care?
Children who need foster care come from all backgrounds. They are of every race,
religion and cultural background. All have different likes and dislikes, talents
and skills. Often these children have brothers and sisters who need foster care,
What are the basic requirements to foster a child?
- Willingness to work in partnership with the caseworker and others planning for the
- Understanding and compassion for the birth parents
- The ability to meet state regulations for foster parents
- Completion of 13 weeks of pre-service training
- Minimum age of 21
- Background clearance
- A home that meets safety requirements
- A separate bedroom with a bed for each child
- Adequate income to support your own family
What are the rewards of providing foster care?
While a stipend is provided to foster parents to help them in caring for their foster
child, the reward is knowing that you have helped give a child comfort, guidance,
security and a loving home.