While the following list of agencies have participated in our Orphan Care Expo,
we do not recommend or endorse any agency. It is the responsibility of the adoptive
family to exercise due diligence when evaluating and selecting an adoption agency.
COMPARING ADOPTION AGENCIES: QUESTIONS TO ASK
- What is the overall philosophy of the agency?
- How long has the agency been licensed? In what state(s)?
- How many adoptions has the agency completed?
- Which professional organizations is the agency a member of?
- Is the agency accredited with the Council On Accreditation (COA) or currently seeking
- Is the agency a member of the Joint Council on International Children’s Services
or the National Council for Adoption?
- Can they provide a parent referral list that includes telephone numbers?
- What type of parent education and support services does the agency provide?
- What type of support can I expect once my adoption is completed?
- Foster Care: what is this state’s practice regarding the provision of subsidies
and Medicaid for children adopted from foster care?
- International: how much experience do the agency management and Case Managers have
in international adoption?
- If you are interested in a specific country, what are the number of completed adoptions
for that specific country and the number of years working in that country? How many
recent adoptions has the agency completed in the country?
- Does the staff travel to the children’s birth countries to evaluate a program’s
effectiveness and meet with adoption officials? How often?
- What standards does the agency adhere to in cooperating with in-country associates
(attorneys, facilitators)? How long has the agency worked with the associates and
how were they chosen?
- Does the agency have U.S. staff fluent in the languages of the countries in which
- Does the agency assist the birth country with humanitarian aid?
- What type of assistance is offered to clients when they travel to the birth country?
- Are transportation and translators made available?
- What is the general total cost?
- What are the fees for the following: -Application Fee -Agency Fee -Post Adoption
Administrative Fee -Home Study Fee -Document Translation & Certification Fees (International)
-International Program Fees -Travel, Lodging, Meal Expenses -Child’s Visa Fee